M-Audio M3-8 Three-Way Active Studio Monitor
M-Audio M3-8 Three-Way Active Studio MonitorDetails
Product Ref: 33229View Full Description
Full DescriptionView Full Description
Benefits of a Three-Way Monitor
It plays louder. A midrange driver is typically four to five inches in diameter, meaning that the midrange driver can "move a lot more air" through the mid frequencies than a diminutive 1" tweeter. For the same wattage input, a five-inch midrange driver literally takes a "bigger bite" out of the air, which translates into more sound for the same input power.
It handles great amounts of power and is extremely reliable. Having a dedicated midrange driver means that the tweeter-which is the most fragile of speaker elements-does not have to struggle trying to reach down to the midrange frequencies, as tweeters must do in two-way systems. The crossover frequency specs tell the story: In a properly designed three-way speaker, the tweeter doesn't have to "enter the game" until around 4,000 Hz-well up into the treble region, which is not a frequency area that requires the current-heavy drive signals that can burn out a delicate tweeter. In contrast, the tweeter in a two-way speaker crosses over about a full octave lower-around 2,000 Hz-which puts it in considerably greater thermal and mechanical danger. The lower a tweeter crosses over, the more likely it is that you'll suffer tweeter failure from burnout or irreparable voice coil displacement from over-excursion.
The sound coverage (sometimes called "dispersion" or "radiation pattern") is extremely wide and consistent. This is critically important in a studio monitor-you have to have wide, even, consistent sound coverage so you can hear your mixes with clarity and detail, even if you're standing a little off to the side ("off axis") of the speaker. The M3-8 uses its drivers only in the frequency range where it has very wide-angle dispersion. Best of all, the space-saving M3-8 Studio Reference Monitor delivers its truly spectacular three-way sound from the same compact cabinet size as a standard two-way monitor.
In-Line MF/HF Design
In the sophisticated design of the M3-8, the midrange and tweeter are mounted in-line with each other (the tweeter is actually mounted at the apex of the midrange) at precisely the same point in space. Doing so means the sound of the two drivers integrates perfectly, without the "time/arrival distortion" of conventionally-spaced drive units. Instead, with the M-Audio M3-8, the all-important midrange and treble information reaches your ears at precisely the same time, delivering the ultimate in detail and clarity.
No speaker with conventionally-mounted drivers can equal the M3-8's incredibly natural, three-dimensional sound field. Your mixes sound real, and you can make very confident, precise adjustments to your recordings.
Superb Drive Units
Kevlar® is an ideal driver diaphragm material: Incredibly strong, stiff and light (it's used in military body armor). M-Audio use it in both the M3-8's 8" woofer and the 5" midrange, giving those units an incredibly fast transient attack, excellent sensitivity and great resistance to cone flexing and resonant breakup at high power levels. Loud, strong and fast-perfect monitor characteristics.
The 1" woven silk dome tweeter uses Ferro-fluid voice coil cooling for added reliability at studio power levels and this tweeter imparts virtually no harshness or "listening fatigue," as is often the case with metal dome tweeters. This is extremely important to the recording engineer who spends hours in the studio, listening to his mixes, relying on his unfatigued hearing to make subtle adjustments.
Additionally, the tweeter is mounted in an integrated waveguide, which precisely focuses and directs the treble energy into the listening field, ensuring a solid and stable sonic image and minimising the random acoustic "scatter" that would distract from properly evaluating the recording's playback.
Finally, M-Audio have paid close attention to the cabinet as well. The attractive real wood-veneered baffle is chamfered at the top edges to aid in dispersion and reduce audibly-destructive edge diffraction. They've also optimised the cabinet's internal bracing to ensure that the drivers have a solid, vibration-free platform from which to launch their sound, and used computer calculations to determine the port's characteristics for the best possible bass response.
Three (Amplifiers) Is Key
Three individual internal amplifiers provide power to each of the three speaker elements. These amplifiers are specifically tailored to the drivers they are matched with, for smooth operation and system synergy that is virtually impossible to equal using outboard amplifiers and passive speakers. A total of 220 watts of Class AB amplification empowers the M3-8 with ample headroom for even the loudest mixes. The carefully-selected crossover points divide the frequency spectrum into very precise bands so that each individual driver only handles the exact frequency range where it is most accurate.
The powerful three-band (LF, MF, HF) EQ gives you the flexibility to shape the sound to match your listening environment. The switchable low-cut filter is perfect for tailoring the M3-8's bass response for use with a subwoofer, like M-Audio's BX Subwoofer. Pinhole-mounted blue LEDs provide an easy-to-use visual aid for perfect speaker placement.
The result of all these innovations and thoughtful design touches is an outstanding studio monitor speaker able to perform at a far higher level than the typical monitor-even in the most critical listening environment.
- Real wood baffle; optimized internal bracing
- Inline mid- & high-frequency drivers offer superior imaging
- 8" woven Kevlar low-frequency driver
- 5" woven Kevlar mid-frequency driver
- 1" silk dome tweeter with integrated waveguide
- Tri-amp Class A/B power, 220 Watts total
- XLR and 1/4" balanced inputs; RCA unbalanced input
- 3-band EQ with bypass; switchable low-cut filter
- Rear-mounted volume and power control
- Frequency response: 38 Hz - 22 kHz
- Crossover frequency: Low-Mid: 450 Hz, Mid-High: 3.9 kHz
- Amplifier Power:
- Low-frequency amplifier power: 150 W
- Mid-frequency amplifier power: 35 W
- High-frequency amplifier power: 35 W
- LF cutoff switch: flat, 60 Hz, 80 Hz
- Equalizer Controls:
- LF: ± 6 dB boost/cut at 100 Hz
- MF: ± 6 dB boost/cut at 1 kHz
- HF: ± 6 dB boost/cut at 10 kHz
- Bypass switch
- Polarity: Positive signal at + input produces outward LF cone displacement
- Input impedance: 20 k ohm balanced, 10 k ohm unbalanced
- Input sensitivity: 85 mV pink noise input produces 90 dBA output SPL at 1 meter with volume control at maximum
- Protection: Output current limiting; over-temperature; transient on/off protection to prevent speaker "pops"; subsonic filter; external mains fuse
- Cabinet: Wood veneer front baffle with vinyl-laminated cabinet
- Size (W x H x D): 10.6" x 17.1" x 11.2"; 268 mm x 434 mm x 285 mm
- Weight: 28.2 lbs.; 12.8 kg
The product price includes a one year warranty and 30 day money back guarantee.
However, the Gear4music extended warranty scheme provides an enhanced service, and is designed to offer a higher level of protection than many 'free' warranties offered by some retailers and manufacturers.
The highlights of this enhanced warranty service are:
- Warranty is extended to 5 years from the date of delivery.
- Our Money Back guarantee is extended from 30 days to 90 days (terms apply after 30 days)
- Collection and delivery costs are included for the first two years
- Claim 50% cash back on the cost of the policy after 5 years if it has not been used!
- Warranty is transferable if the item is re-sold
- Loan or replacement equipment will be provided if the product isn't repaired within 30 days
- If an item can not be repaired, a similar alternative product or cash discount (as defined in this policy) will be offered
- The policy can be cancelled within 30 days, and at any time after that for a pro-rata discount
Please note that this extended warranty is currently only available on products sold within the EU or EEA, and is subject to the terms and conditions as detailed on the extended warranty certificate provided.
For customers in outlying areas of the country, the price of the Extended Warranty may be marginally higher, due to the potential for higher collection and redelivery transport costs.
This enhanced warranty is in addition to the standard Gear4music and manufacturer warranty policies, and the Gear4music terms and conditions of trade. No statement or condition of sale contained within these terms affects or restricts your statutory rights as defined under the Consumer Contracts Regulation 2014.
Once the product is delivered, you have 30 days to decide that you definitely want to keep it. If you decide it is not suitable for any reason, you can return it back to us for replacement or full refund, including standard delivery charges.
All Products are new unless stated, and include a minimum of one year warranty.
Some items are only eligible for money back guarantee if they are returned to us unused and sealed in the original packaging, and in the case of software, unregistered. These items include:
- CDs & DVDs
- In-ear Monitors
- Earplugs and Ear Protection
- Mouthpieces, Reeds etc… for Woodwind and Brass instruments
- Mouth / Lip Care Products
We are unable to accept returns of any custom made items designed to work together as a unique package, such as computer system built to a customer’s personal specifications. Exceptions may only be possible with prior agreement of the vendor, and may be subject to a cancellation fee.
If you also purchase items that do not qualify for free delivery, some delivery charges may be applied to your order which will be shown in your shopping basket.