Music Gear News
8 Useful Tips For Drum Practice
2. Use a practice pad - If you don't have access to your own kit yet, invest in a drum practice pad for days in between lessons. They're a great way to build up stamina and are extremely portable, so you can practice drumming anywhere. For silent practice, or if you're short on space, try a practice pad drum kit.
3. Watch others practice - You can find videos all over the internet from players of all levels. Watch these and you may learn some dos and don'ts as you recognise habits in other player's styles. A lot of professional drummers and drum brands such as Tama, Natal and Mapex also upload demo videos teaching you how to do particular tricks, they're useful for hints and inspiration.
4. Record yourself - As well as watching others, recording audio or making videos of yourself to watch back later can help you to spot the areas of your drum technique that need improvement. If you know you'll want high-quality recordings as you improve, it's worth investing in some drum mics.
5. Don't practice alone - As you progress , you might find it useful to practice with a backing track or metronome, or even challenge yourself to learn a few of your favourite songs. If you play an acoustic drum kit, turn it into a hybrid kit - all you need is a sound source like a sampling pad or drum module and a way to triggers the sounds. Great preparation for when you're ready to jam with other musicians.
6. Look after your hearing - You may not be gigging just yet, you might have only just picked up your drum sticks for the first time, but be aware of how important it is to care for your hearing, whether you're playing in the spare room or at a gig. Get used to using ear protection now and you have a better chance of avoiding long-term problems common in drummers such as tinnitus, giving you many more happy playing days.
7. Get your kit fit for practice - Make sure your kit is set up correctly so you can practice in comfort. Setting up piece by piece, make sure each element is placed in a natural and comfortable position. Invest in good-quality hardware. Beginner drum kits are usually supplied with hardware, but you'll need more for any add-ons you wish to make. A good, non-slip drum mat and kick drum pedal will give you accuracy and confidence in your kit. Don't forget the housekeeping either, keep your drum kit clean and have a drum key nearby at all times!
8. Have fun! - Any drummer will tell you that focusing too much on getting the beat perfect will achieve the opposite. Relaxing will help you to stay loose.Have fun when you play, remove the pressure and you'll start to see better results.
Related Music News
Update available to improve performance and fix bugs.
Shure recently discussed how guitarists can achieve great results when recording at home or in a small project studio. We took a look and picked out our favourite points.
Recreate the Brazilian carnival atmosphere at your World Cup party with our Samba instruments.
Many parents want to encourage their child to take up an instrument early on in life. Music can be a fun and rewarding activity for children but knowing where to start can be tricky. Here are our top picks for ideal starter instruments for children under 7.
We take a look at 11 apps you may want to try...
You've spent ages perfecting your sound and now it's time to let others hear it too. Read our 8 Tips for Putting on a Great Live Show.
Recent Music News
A compact and lightweight Electric Acoustic Bass Guitar ideal for those who value playability and ultimate accessibility to their instrument
Elektron's Digitakt Drum Machine is the answer to all your of your percussive desires
British microphone brand Aston have just announced the worlds first laser targeting pencil mic.
With a number of exciting features, the RD-2000 combines the best features of acoustic and digital pianos into an innovative hybrid
A versatile and dynamic Digital Mixer with a plethora of exciting capabilities
Orange's new amps are the perfect solution for those who want to kill two birds with one stone. Just as able on the stage as it is in your bedroom, the Rocker series offer complete versatility.