Music Gear News
Adele named most powerful in British music
Adele has been named the most powerful person in the British music industry.
The Music Power 100 poll by the Guardian newspaper saw the singer - who has topped the UK album charts for 16 weeks running this year with '21', but had a relatively short career, releasing her debut album in 2008 - and her team beat more established industry figures including Simon Cowell, Jay-Z and Damon Albarn.
The list was decided by a music industry panel and focussed mainly on industry figures and the teams behind the success of artists. Adele was voted top after she managed to hit number one in 15 countries with '21' and sell six million copies of the album in a time when album sales are declining.
Richard Russell, head of Xl records, Adele's label, said: "The whole message with her is, it's just music. There's no gimmicks, there's no selling of sexuality."
Second place on the list were Lucian Grainge and David Joseph, the executive head CEOs of Universal Music Group and Universal Music UK respectively, the label which is home to Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and The Rolling Stones.
'The X Factor' TV talent show boss Simon Cowell - who runs the Syco label, part of Sony records - was number three on the list while Nigel Harding, boss of public broadcasting station Radio 1 was fourth. Fifth place went to the controllers of music download service iTunes UK.
Music Power 100 list, top ten entries:
1. Team Adele: Label executive: Richard Russell, XL Recordings, Manager: Jonathan Dickins, Publisher: Paul Connolly, Universal Music Publishing Group, Radio plugger: Brad Hunner, Radar Plugging.
2. Lucian Grainge: Universal Music Group and David Joseph: Universal Music UK
3. Simon Cowell: Managing Director, Syco
4. Nigel Harding: Broadcaster, Music policy executive, Radio 1
5. Person or persons unknown: Retailer: iTunes UK
6. Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim: Digital media: founders, YouTube
7. George Ergatoudis: Broadcaster, head of music, BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra
8. Larry Page, Sergey Brin and Eric Schmidt: Digital media, co-founders, Google, and their executive chairman
9. Simon Moran: Live music promoter, managing director, SJM Concerts
10. Jeff Bezos: Retailer, president and CEO, Amazon.comPosted on 27 May 2011 10:00 to category : Music News
Related Music News
With the advent of various new files formats and the cancelling of several licensing programs, the MP3 is speculated to soon become a thing of the past.
JBL Professional has launched a competition that gives aspiring musician the opportunity to record in a professional facility with renowned producer Steve Levine.
Delivered by Choreographer and Theater Director Arlene Phillips, The Bacc For the Future campaign has acquired support of over 100 hundred influential figures
On the 22nd of April, Pink Floyd will be releasing an unheard version of the iconic classic 'Interstellar Overdrive' in celebration of world record day
With an increased quality of specifications right across the board, Apple's eponymous 'iPad' will host a whole generous selection of great new features.
Supported by the likes of Ed Sheeran, Royal Blood, Wolf Alice and many more, Fanfair Alliances new educational guide is available for free download online.
Recent Music News
Celebrating 50 years since his iconic performance at Monterey pop festival, Fender's Jimi Hendrix Monterey Stratocaster recreates the sound of a cultural icon.
Building upon the already established fan favourite DJ-808 DJ Controller, Roland have now announced the launch of the portable and compact DJ-202 DJ Controller.
Coinciding with the launch of its brand new DJ-202 counterpart, the Roland DJ-505 DJ Controller breathes a breath of new life into Roland's renowned DJ range.
New to Roland's illustrious boutique range, the SH-01A builds upon the foundations of the revered SH-1A, granting the player a whole range of vintage voices.
Based on the legendary TR-808m the TR-08 Rhythm Composer brings all of the legendary capabilities of its forefather into a more modern and streamlined format.
Designed to complement the TR-08 Rhythm Composer, the Roland SP-404A Linear Wave Sampler offers a plethora of exciting new sampling methods for live performances.