Music Gear News

At Gear4music.com we update our news channel daily to ensure you always get the latest and most important music news.

Leonard Cohen: Not much strategy in my songwriting

Hit musician Leonard Cohen has revealed that he doesn't really have a strategy when it comes to writing songs.
No strategy to writing songs
Leonard Cohen has revealed in a candid interview with Jarvis Cocker that he has never had much of a strategy when it has come to writing songs.

The Canadian musician was speaking to Cocker at the May Fair Hotel in London ahead of the release of his 12th studio album Old Ideas.

He said: I always felt I was kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel just trying to get a song together... I never had the sense that I was standing in front of a buffet table, with a multitude of choices."

When asked about his voice, which Cocker said seemed to be getting deeper, Cohen wisecracked that this is what happens when you give up smoking cigarettes.

"I thought my voice would rise a soprano… it's not going that direction," he said.

"I'll start smoking again when I'm 80; I'm looking forward to that."

The 77-year-old, who was in a jubilant mood and had the audience in roars of laughter, underplayed his writing talent.

He recently received a renowned PEN New England award for literary excellence in songwriting, to which he said: "The thing I liked about this award was that I'm sharing it with Chuck Berry.' Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news' – I'd like to write a line like that."

Posted by AWADNFCR-2133-ID-801268743-ADNFCR Posted on 19 Jan 2012 16:20 to category : Band / Celebrity News

Related Music News

thumbnail

Laying the foundations for generations of artists to follow, the legendary musician Leonard Cohen has passed away from unspecified causes.

11 Nov 2016 10:48
thumbnail

Stating it as more of a necessity for the band, M. Shadows highlights the importance of not stagnating and keeping things exciting

31 Oct 2016 16:10
thumbnail

Cancelling his remaining shows in December due to ill health, fears arise over the guitar legends health

26 Oct 2016 13:08
thumbnail

Verified by the guitarist himself, Slash's B.C Rich played a pivotal role in Guns N' Roses rise to fame

10 Oct 2016 16:17
thumbnail

Featuring a number of tracks by their favourite artists, the Stone's latest effort is set for release December 2nd

6 Oct 2016 15:31
thumbnail

Speaking to friend and radio host Eddie Trunk Frehley stated that he would rejoin the band if the offer came his way

30 Sep 2016 15:54

Recent Music News

thumbnail

For those who want to emulate the massive tone of one of the contemporary music scene's biggest percussive heroes, the 'Spooky' signature drum is this winters must have addition to your kit

8 Dec 2016 16:58
thumbnail

Some formats of compressed MP3 have been linked with negatively effecting individuals emotional state due to their inherent tonal characteristics

8 Dec 2016 13:04

Once again Cubase continue to pave the path of innovation with Cubase Pro 9

7 Dec 2016 14:34
thumbnail

Changing colour from its previous grey to a sleek black, the Launch Control XL's appearance has been re imagined to keep it inline with its Launch key and Launchpad counterparts.

7 Dec 2016 09:23
thumbnail

Designed to simulate various classic amp tones, Supro's Tremolo Pedal introduces the new school to the old school

6 Dec 2016 11:16
thumbnail

A premium belt-drive turntable that features wireless streaming, the BT-500 has been designed to extract every musical detail of your record collection

5 Dec 2016 15:00