Music Gear News

At Gear4music.com we update our news channel daily to ensure you always get the latest and most important music news.

Leonard Cohen: Not much strategy in my songwriting

Hit musician Leonard Cohen has revealed that he doesn't really have a strategy when it comes to writing songs.
No strategy to writing songs
Leonard Cohen has revealed in a candid interview with Jarvis Cocker that he has never had much of a strategy when it has come to writing songs.

The Canadian musician was speaking to Cocker at the May Fair Hotel in London ahead of the release of his 12th studio album Old Ideas.

He said: I always felt I was kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel just trying to get a song together... I never had the sense that I was standing in front of a buffet table, with a multitude of choices."

When asked about his voice, which Cocker said seemed to be getting deeper, Cohen wisecracked that this is what happens when you give up smoking cigarettes.

"I thought my voice would rise a soprano… it's not going that direction," he said.

"I'll start smoking again when I'm 80; I'm looking forward to that."

The 77-year-old, who was in a jubilant mood and had the audience in roars of laughter, underplayed his writing talent.

He recently received a renowned PEN New England award for literary excellence in songwriting, to which he said: "The thing I liked about this award was that I'm sharing it with Chuck Berry.' Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news' – I'd like to write a line like that."

Posted by AWADNFCR-2133-ID-801268743-ADNFCR Posted on 19 Jan 2012 16:20 to category : Band / Celebrity News

Related Music News

thumbnail

Through a collaboration with Martin, Sheeran's latest signature model features artwork from his latest album '÷' and has been built to his exact specifications.

25 Apr 2017 17:08
thumbnail

An icon who helped propel the rock 'n' roll movement to new and unprecedented heights. Chucky Berry is praised by many as a founding father of modern music.

20 Mar 2017 11:31
thumbnail

Founding guitarist of legendary LA band Y and T Joey Alves passes away due to complications relating to Ulcerative Colitis. Documentary on soon to follow.

13 Mar 2017 13:12
thumbnail

Destroyer Cola is to be the latest release in rock veterans Kiss' long line of merchandise currently available to the general public for purchase

7 Mar 2017 15:23
thumbnail

In a recent unconfirmed report, frontman of famous rock and roll outfit Guns N' Roses is said to be heading into the studio with Australian rock veterans AC/DC

24 Feb 2017 13:13
thumbnail

Never before has music been so accessible. With social media, tab sites and forums at your immediate disposal, learning your favourite song couldn't be easier.

9 Feb 2017 15:22

Recent Music News

thumbnail

The latest addition to the illustrious range of Katana Amplifiers, the Katana-Mini guitar amplifier brings classic BOSS tone in a portable and lightweight design

23 Jun 2017 10:23
thumbnail

Today's second pedal release from BOSS for Roland's 'Future Redesigned' campaign, the MD-500 is the latest comprehensive workhorse for the modern musician.

23 Jun 2017 09:49
thumbnail

The most advanced reverb pedal to come from BOSS to date, the RV-500 pedal promises a wealth of tone shaping options and professional grade versatility

23 Jun 2017 09:14
thumbnail

Using the feedback from the guitar player community Walrus Audio has devised a new and improved pedal that eliminates the pitfalls of its predecessor.

22 Jun 2017 16:09
thumbnail

After the release of the Hall of Fame 2 and Pipeline Tap Tremolo Pedals, TC Electronic's Flashback 2 promises for unprecedented expression and otherworldly tone.

21 Jun 2017 15:29
thumbnail

Looking to get that perfect take? M-Audio's M-Track 2X2 Vocal Studio Pro gives you professional standard recording capabilities in a robust and compact format.

20 Jun 2017 15:01