Music Gear News

At Gear4music.com we update our news channel daily to ensure you always get the latest and most important music news.

Leonard Cohen: Not much strategy in my songwriting

Hit musician Leonard Cohen has revealed that he doesn't really have a strategy when it comes to writing songs.
No strategy to writing songs
Leonard Cohen has revealed in a candid interview with Jarvis Cocker that he has never had much of a strategy when it has come to writing songs.

The Canadian musician was speaking to Cocker at the May Fair Hotel in London ahead of the release of his 12th studio album Old Ideas.

He said: I always felt I was kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel just trying to get a song together... I never had the sense that I was standing in front of a buffet table, with a multitude of choices."

When asked about his voice, which Cocker said seemed to be getting deeper, Cohen wisecracked that this is what happens when you give up smoking cigarettes.

"I thought my voice would rise a soprano… it's not going that direction," he said.

"I'll start smoking again when I'm 80; I'm looking forward to that."

The 77-year-old, who was in a jubilant mood and had the audience in roars of laughter, underplayed his writing talent.

He recently received a renowned PEN New England award for literary excellence in songwriting, to which he said: "The thing I liked about this award was that I'm sharing it with Chuck Berry.' Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news' – I'd like to write a line like that."

Posted by AWADNFCR-2133-ID-801268743-ADNFCR Posted on 19 Jan 2012 16:20 to category : Band / Celebrity News

Related Music News

thumbnail

Former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach Spills the Beans On His Less Than Complimentary Thoughts Towards Today's Rock Musicians and Their Work Ethic In the Studio

11 Jan 2017 11:33
thumbnail

The prestigious Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction will be honouring several artists this year, including prog legends Yes. Rick Wakeman has stated that he will not be attending.

3 Jan 2017 16:45
thumbnail

Laying the foundations for generations of artists to follow, the legendary musician Leonard Cohen has passed away from unspecified causes.

11 Nov 2016 10:48
thumbnail

Stating it as more of a necessity for the band, M. Shadows highlights the importance of not stagnating and keeping things exciting

31 Oct 2016 16:10
thumbnail

Cancelling his remaining shows in December due to ill health, fears arise over the guitar legends health

21 Oct 2016 17:40
thumbnail

Verified by the guitarist himself, Slash's B.C Rich played a pivotal role in Guns N' Roses rise to fame

10 Oct 2016 16:17

Recent Music News

thumbnail

With various different entries, Ibanez unleash a spectacular array of signature models to their NAMM 2017 line up

20 Jan 2017 14:40
thumbnail

With extensive research conducted into how to make a kit that truly caters to the player and their specific needs, Pearl hit a home run with these one of a kind custom kits

20 Jan 2017 12:52
thumbnail

A revamp of one of Ludwig's most popular snares, the Ludwig Black Beauty 14x8 projects classic tone and looks as good as the original

20 Jan 2017 11:47
thumbnail

Mackie's Big Knob Studio Interface continues the legacy of its predecessors, championing various new features and exciting tech to reiterate its triumphant return.

20 Jan 2017 11:14
thumbnail

Line 6's first ever artist designed guitar, the Shuriken personifies the aggressive and technical playing styles of metal enthusiasts around the world.

20 Jan 2017 10:28
thumbnail

Building on the foundations of its predecessor the Prophet 08, the REV2 features a whole array of interesting and innovative additions to its format.

20 Jan 2017 08:37