View Full Description
History Behind the Tone Beast
In the 60's and 70's many console/preamplifier builders hid the operational amplifier (opamp) of their preamps by cramming the components into a small box and then attaching the box to the circuit board. Inside these small boxes, the components were covered in glue to make them hard to disassemble/analyze. Manufacturers felt the character of these opamps was unique enough to protect.
The TB12-500 Tone Beast utilises this same square shaped opamp and pin configuration as the originals but without the plastic and glue housing. The TB12-500 is designed so that the stock opamp can be removed and replaced with whatever takes your fancy, allowing you to tweak and customise your sound as much, or as little as you like.
Multiple Discrete Signal Paths with Unprecedented Flexibility
By combining different mics with different preamps, you can make every source sound its absolute very best. First of all, you have the choice of a 1731 or 918 opamp; The 1731 is extremely coloured and break up quickly, while the 918 is fairly clean with a touch of character. Secondly, you have the choice of a 100% steel or 50% nickel transformer; The steel output transformer is more coloured than the nickel, especially when pushed. For even more tonal variety, the Tone Beast is provides you with the choice of tantalum and electrolytic capacitors.
- Discrete 312 preamp design
- Provides 71dB of gain
- Transformer selection; Steel and 50% Nickel CineMag output for varying character
- Transformer bypass switch allows for removal of the output transformer from the circuit
- Discrete opamp selection with 1731 (vintage) and 918 (cleaner) style opamps
- Socketed/swappable with your choice of 2520 6-pin footprint opamps
- Switchable impedance between 150 ohms and 600 ohms
- Capacitor selection between Tantalum and Electrolytic
- 80Hz hipass filter
- Polarity reverse
- +48V phantom power
- Output attenuation allowing for saturation flexibility of both the opamps and transformers
- Balanced XLR mic, balanced TRS line and 1/4'' instrument inputs
- Balanced XLR and TRS outputs
- -20dB pad
- LED VU meter
- Designed for use in standard 500 series power racks
The product price includes 4 years' warranty and 60 day money back guarantee.
However, the Gear4music extended warranty scheme provides an enhanced service, and is designed to offer a higher level of protection than many 'free' warranties offered by some retailers and manufacturers.
The highlights of this enhanced warranty service are:
- Warranty is extended to 4 years from the date of delivery.
- Our Money Back guarantee is extended from 30 days to 60 days (terms apply after 30 days)
- Collection and delivery costs are included for the first 2 years
- Claim 50% cash back on the cost of the policy after 4 years if it has not been used!
- Warranty is transferable if the item is re-sold
- Loan or replacement equipment will be provided if the product isn't repaired within 30 days
- If an item can not be repaired, a similar alternative product or cash discount (as defined in this policy) will be offered
- The policy can be cancelled within 30 days, and at any time after that for a pro-rata discount
Please note that this extended warranty is currently only available on products sold within the EU or EEA, and is subject to the terms and conditions as detailed on the extended warranty certificate provided.
For customers in outlying areas of the country, the price of the Extended Warranty may be marginally higher, due to the potential for higher collection and redelivery transport costs.
This enhanced warranty is in addition to the standard Gear4music and manufacturer warranty policies, and the Gear4music terms and conditions of trade. No statement or condition of sale contained within these terms affects or restricts your statutory rights as defined under the Consumer Contracts Regulation 2014.
Once the product is delivered, you have 60 days to decide that you definitely want to keep it. If you decide it is not suitable for any reason, you can return it back to us for replacement or full refund, including standard delivery charges.
All Products are new unless stated, and include a minimum of 2 years warranty.
Some items are only eligible for money back guarantee if they are returned to us unused and sealed in the original packaging, and in the case of software, unregistered. These items include:
- CDs & DVDs
- In-ear Monitors
- Earplugs and Ear Protection
- Mouthpieces, Reeds etc… for Woodwind and Brass instruments
- Mouth / Lip Care Products
We are unable to accept returns of any custom made items designed to work together as a unique package, such as computer system built to a customer’s personal specifications. Exceptions may only be possible with prior agreement of the vendor, and may be subject to a cancellation fee.
This item usually qualifies for free standard delivery. Saturday and timed delivery services are also available as cost options when you add the item to your shopping basket.
If you also purchase items that do not
qualify for free delivery, some delivery charges may be applied to your
order which will be shown in your shopping basket.