View Full Description
A Brief History of SJ-200
The SJ-200 (Super Jumbo) model is renowned for being 'king of the flat tops', and has been a popular choice since its inception in 1937. The original SJ-200 has been seen on legendary stages with more legendary performers and heard on more albums in more genres than any other jumbo acoustic in history, and is still as popular today. Its popularity stems from its ability to project a powerful sound acoustically, without the need for amplification. Its deep construction provides a deep, well balanced tone and a powerful sound, and was seen as ground-breaking innovation when it was first launched in the 30's.
As part of Gibson's Vintage line, each guitar is hand built using the same tonewoods as the original models, including thermally aged top wood, historic bracing patterns, period-correct tuners, and genuine bone nut and saddle. All these authentic features add to the overall prestige of the SJ-200.
Thermally Aged Adirondack Red Spruce Top
The premium tonewoods used in this guitar's construction plus scalloped hide glue x-bracing and traditional SJ-200 dimensions mean it really belts out an impressive tone. This jumbo acoustic body gives a similar sound to other SJ-200s but with extra projection and more depth of character.
Crafted from a thermally aged Adirondack red spruce top, SJ-200 provides a very high velocity sound, as this type of wood has the highest stiffness across and along the grain compared to any other top wood. Red spruce is considered by many to be the holy grail in top woods, as it can deliver the highest volume ceiling of any species, yet also has a rich fullness of tone that retains clarity at all dynamic levels. The thermal aging process used on this top wood involves drying the boards to remove the moisture, followed by removing the oxygen and drying at a higher heat. This is then followed by slow cooling and reintroduction of moisture, which usually takes around 3-4 days. At the end of this process, you are left with a quality sounding tonewood with the classic matured tone of an older guitar.
Maple Back & Sides
As well as offering a stunning contrast to the red spruce soundboard, Maple adds a warm, rich, sustain to the mix. Maple is one of the most traditional tonewoods used for guitars, as it offers a transparent tone that greatly accentuates the tone of the top wood. It almost amplifies the tonal properties of the red spruce, gives you an enhanced projection and a perfect tone.
Comfortable Neck Profile
With its jumbo size and nipped in waist, the SJ-200 is a comfortable guitar to play. As well as a comfy body shape, the round neck profile also adds to the comfort. A compound dovetail joint, secured with hide glue at the 14th fret offers a tighter joint and easier for the vibrations to travel from the neck to the body, thus enhancing the sound transfer. This also provides an ideal neck length for an enjoyable performance.
A Real Statement Guitar
The Gibson SJ-200 Vintage Acoustic Guitar is truly a masterpiece in every area. As well as sporting the best quality tonewoods available, the attention to detail adds extra elegance and quality to this wonderful instrument. One of the most striking features of the SJ-200 is the distinctive rosewood bridge in a moustache style, with mother-of-pearl bars. Another stunning feature is the elegant mother-of-pearl crown inlays throughout the richlite fingerboard. In addition, the SJ-200 also features a beautifully ornate floral pickguard, that maintains the original authenticity of the guitar.
All these ornate details along with its unparalleled tone and projection make the SJ-200 a real statement guitar, and boasts the highest level of Gibson craftsmanship.
2017 Model with modifications
- New Vintage style bound sound hole
- Proprietary Thermally Aged Adirondack Red Spruce
- Vintage Relic Gold Gotoh tuners for precise tuning
- Gibson's traditional unique VOS finish that replicates a vintage appearance
- Intricate rosewood bridge in a moustache style with mother-of-pearl bars
- Featuring Gibson's classic nitrocellulose lacquer for added authenticity
- Includes black hardshell case with plush-lined interior
- Gibson Gold Warranty
Body & Bridge
- Body Style: SJ-200
- Top: Thermally Aged Adirondack Red Spruce
- Back and Side: Maple
- Binding: Multi-Ply Top and Back, Bound Sound Hole
- Bridge: Rosewood Moustache w/Mother of Pearl Bars
- Bracing: Traditional Scalloped X
- Construction: Compound Dovetail Secured
- Finish: Vintage Sunburst
Neck & Fingerboard
- Neck: Maple
- Neck Profile: Round
- Scale: 25.5"
- Fingerboard: Richlite
- Radius: 12”
- Inlay: Mother of Pearl Crowns
- Frets: 20
- Nut: White
- Width at Nut: 1.725”
Hardware & Accessories
- Tuners: Relic Gotoh
- Pickguard: Traditional, SJ-200
- Rosette: Multi-Ply Double-Ring
- Hardware: Gold
- Strings: Light Gauge .012 - .053
- Included Case: Black Hardshell
The product price includes 2 years' warranty and 30 day money back guarantee.
However, the Gear4music extended warranty scheme provides an enhanced service, and is designed to offer a higher level of protection than many 'free' warranties offered by some retailers and manufacturers.
The highlights of this enhanced warranty service are:
- Warranty is extended to 6 years from the date of delivery.
- Our Money Back guarantee is extended from 30 days to 180 days (terms apply after 30 days)
- Collection and delivery costs are included for the first 2 years
- Claim 50% cash back on the cost of the policy after 6 years if it has not been used!
- Warranty is transferable if the item is re-sold
- Loan or replacement equipment will be provided if the product isn't repaired within 30 days
- If an item can not be repaired, a similar alternative product or cash discount (as defined in this policy) will be offered
- The policy can be cancelled within 30 days, and at any time after that for a pro-rata discount
Please note that this extended warranty is currently only available on products sold within the EU or EEA, and is subject to the terms and conditions as detailed on the extended warranty certificate provided.
For customers in outlying areas of the country, the price of the Extended Warranty may be marginally higher, due to the potential for higher collection and redelivery transport costs.
This enhanced warranty is in addition to the standard Gear4music and manufacturer warranty policies, and the Gear4music terms and conditions of trade. No statement or condition of sale contained within these terms affects or restricts your statutory rights as defined under the Consumer Contracts Regulation 2014.
Once the product is delivered, you have 30 days to decide that you definitely want to keep it. If you decide it is not suitable for any reason, you can return it back to us for replacement or full refund, including standard delivery charges.
All Products are new unless stated, and include a minimum of 2 years warranty.
Some items are only eligible for money back guarantee if they are returned to us unused and sealed in the original packaging, and in the case of software, unregistered. These items include:
- CDs & DVDs
- In-ear Monitors
- Earplugs and Ear Protection
- Mouthpieces, Reeds etc… for Woodwind and Brass instruments
- Mouth / Lip Care Products
We are unable to accept returns of any custom made items designed to work together as a unique package, such as computer system built to a customer’s personal specifications. Exceptions may only be possible with prior agreement of the vendor, and may be subject to a cancellation fee.
This item usually qualifies for free standard delivery. Saturday and timed delivery services are also available as cost options when you add the item to your shopping basket.
If you also purchase items that do not
qualify for free delivery, some delivery charges may be applied to your
order which will be shown in your shopping basket.