View Full Description
Injection moulded nylon tips
Vic Firth was the first manufacturer to offer nylon tips, allowing drummers to switch between a rich sounding wood stick and the satisfying feel and balance of nylon. By fusing the nylon with the wood, the tips are guaranteed not to chip, therefore adding great durability to the drumsticks. A perfect choice for any heavy hitting drummer.
The injection process makes it possible to create complex, precision shapes which match the wood tip counterparts exactly, providing the perfect teardrop shape of a standard wood drumstick.
It starts with the ideal hickory
There are 14 kinds of hickory and only 4 are ideal for drumsticks. Vic Firth uses the best of those 4 to make the American Classic Hickory drumsticks.
Then the vital first 6 steps of the manufacturing process
Most drumstick companies pick up the manufacturing process after these steps. Vic Firth understands the importance of getting these stages right.
- Vic Firth purchases green squares of wood
- This is fresh wood that hasn’t yet been dried. This allows Vic Firth to dry the wood themselves to achieve the desired result.
- The wood is cut to size
- All wood is cut to meet strict standards of consistency
- Dried in a kiln
- This is a heat and humidity controlled room that allows Vic Firth to reduce moisture in the wood to the ideal level for drumsticks. In turn, this prevents sticks from warping.
- Cut down into squares
- They are refined until perfectly uniform
- The squares are then reduced gradually to dowels
- Quality assured: They are weighed and measured using a laser to obtain consistent weight and profile.
The dowels are then slowly reduced using a high-speed sanding process
- For the first time, this is when the wood starts to resemble drumsticks!
...And much more
There are many more steps in producing the perfect pair of drumsticks, but these are the key steps that set Vic Firth apart as a leading drumstick manufacturer. After 10 more steps of careful honing, refining, and then finishing, you finally have your much-endeared Vic Firth American Classic 5BN drumsticks. No one else invests that much time and energy in creating the perfect pair of sticks.
Read more about how Vic Firth drumsticks are made
Not sure what sticks to buy? Find your perfect pair with the Vic Firth Drumstick Guide.
- Size: 5BN
- Diameter: 0.595''
- Length: 16''
- Material: Hickory
- Tip Material: Nylon
- Tip Shape: Tear Drop
- Taper: Medium
- Finish: Natural